Webinar for Mid-Atlantic Facilitators Network – June 10, 2016
Have you been hearing things like this from people who may be impacted by a change?
- Why do we need to change anything? It’s working perfectly fine the way it is!
- They’ve already tried this and it didn’t work.
- I have too much to do! I have no time for these meetings about how things are going to change!
- But I’ve always done in it this way!
- Oh no! Management is trying to make things better again, but all they’ll do is mess it up like last time!
- Will I lose my job once they make this change?
- No one ever listens to me anyway, so I never take time away from real work to give my suggestions.
Change is hard!
We all resist change on some level – whether it’s a change requiring us to work differently, a change in our personal lives, or simply a change in our scheduled dinner plans.
Change in a business setting is hard because there are often many stakeholders involved and communications about the change are sometimes sparse, late or don’t get to the right people at the right time.
As facilitators, we may find ourselves in between those who are initiating the change and those who are resisting the change. We may be called upon to gather requirements, develop strategic plans, conduct process improvement sessions, or facilitate dialogue to address resistance to the change.
Discover how to overcome resistance
Strategies for overcoming this resistance depend on knowing as much as you can about the stakeholders (e.g., attitudes, interests, needs, and history of past change initiatives). Sometimes, simply opening a dialogue about the issues with the folks who are pushing back is enough. Sometimes, the resistance is because they can’t get anyone to listen or because they don’t have enough information about the change. Other times, resisters have legitimate issues that need to be addressed.
Choosing strategies to overcome resistance often depend on the how much is known about the change, its impacts, and the motivations of particular stakeholders.
During the webinar, we will explore techniques to:
- Recognize the signs of resistance
- Understand why people resist change
- Explore strategies to turn challengers into supporters of the change
Click Here for Details: http://www.mafn.org/event-2235123
Follow on Social Media